Sunday, August 7, 2011

Rejoice! His Love Endures Forever

I am relieved to say that things have been quite mellow and peaceful around here for the past few days. Of course, I say that while 3 year old Genevieve (the little girl who lives with us while she recovers from eye surgery) runs around our apartment with bells around her ankles. There's always a bit of chaos around here but that makes for never a dull moment. Everyday is such a ride! 

Ezra, has returned from the hospital after receving surgery on his broken femer. About a week ago, we noticed that Ezra's leg was swollen and when we took him to the hospital the doctors quickly determined that his leg was broken. For the past week, Ezra has been in Hyderabad receving treatment and surgery. Today, he came home to stay at our apartment while he recovers. He should be with us for a while. I'm actually really excited to have him here because he is one of the boys I have made a strong connection with. He is, however, in a lot of pain. Please keep him in your prayers as he recovers from surgery. He has cerebral palsy so any kind of surgery recovery is made extra difficult and painful because of the lack of muscle and body control. He is such a sweet little boy and even in the midst of his pain, I see that heart-melting smile of his come out every now and again. 

We have had a world race team come and volunteer with us for the month of august. It has been really fun and helpful to have them around the home to help with the children. They have been traveling around the world,to 11 different countries in 11 months, doing missions work. They are in their 11 month now and so their last stop is SCH here in India. I have been so thankful for their company and being able to listen to their stories as they have been on one crazy and amazing adventure for the past year. And of course, having them share their experiences with someone like me who is obsessed with missions and travel, I think they may have sold me on the idea of joining the world race someday when I am done with college. Who knows...I could be in their shoes in a few years. Anyways, I'm getting a little too ahead of myself. With the team being here, they were able to clear out our storage closet at the home. They were able to pull out the wheelchairs and walkers so lately, I have been taking kids with CP outside for a walk while I push them in the wheelchair. To see the smiles on their faces as I walk outside the gates of SCH to go for a walk is priceless. Today, I took one of our boys Joshua, on a walk around the village and he was giggling and smiling the whole time. It's also nice for me to be able to explore the neighborhood a bit and take some one-on-one time with kids. This has become my new favorite thing to do with the kids at SCH, especially because I know how much of a difference it makes for our immoble kids to get out of bed and their rooms. I have also been able to see Cedar awake and laughing in his crib for the past 3 days as I have come to SCH every morning! I can't even describe to you how happy it makes me to walk into his room and see him awake and laughing after a month of walking in to see him asleep everyday. This has made for some really great Nat and Cedar time! 2 hours with this guy feels like 2 minutes. Time flies when your watching him laugh and adore being tickled and held. What I would do to take him home with me and be his mom. Who knows... maybe when I am married I can come back for him and he could be my son? But there I go again, getting a little too far ahead of myself. Besides having some great time together, he has also been doing a great job sitting up on his own. Since he is awake and alert, its a lot easier to work with him on sitting up.He has been doing so good with this and I can see that he is getting stronger. Regardless, I am so overjoyed to see him awake and one happy boy.

The faithfulness of God has been a consistent reminder to me while I have been here. The other night, after a long day and once again feeling overwhelmed with homesickness and loneliness, I was just laying in my bed talking to God. I was just telling him how I felt and soon I was asleep having a dream that I know God decided to deliver to me. In this dream, I was exhaustingly walking up a long ladder in a small log cabin. I was so tired and grumbling to myself the misery I was in. The ladder soon reached to a small and cozy loft with a window facing out onto beautiful scenery. When I reached the top, I was still moaning to myself while at the same time, walking without hesitation toward a man sitting in a pile of blankets peacefully looking out the window. As I said the words "and all I really want is a friend" I was crawling into his lap. The moment I plopped into his lap completely limp, I was instantly at perfect peace. I was where I was supposed to be. I was in the arms of Jesus. When I woke up, I knew that Jesus was holding me in the moments I feel so weak and alone. He has been holding me this entire time and he has been everything I have needed when I have needed it most. Sometimes, it can feel like I am constantly climbing a ladder. I grow tired and weak but he is faithful to be at the top, ready to hold my tired body and spirit in his arms. I dont think the Lord could have given me a more beautiful and clear picture of his steadfast love for me. Not a day goes by where he doesnt remind me of his faithfulness to bring me through each day with a smile on my face and joy in my heart. It's hard and he is stretching me more than ever but I am growing because of it. Even as I moan and groan as he challenges me, he is consistent to recieve me with open arms when the growing gets tough. He is taking care of me, walking me through each day with his patient love, and giving me the ability to recieve each new day that comes with joy and thankfulness. God is good. All the time.

I can say with full confidence that I am having the most amazing, challenging, exhausting, joyful, stretching, growing, satisfying, and rewarding experiences of my life.

"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul." Psalm 23: 1-3

Thanks for taking time to read. Love you guys.

1 comment: