Thursday, July 12, 2012

In the Swing of Things


As I sit down to write this blog, I have just completed a full load of laundry outside on the patio by hand. I’m pretty sure I should smell like Tide laundry soap for the next 24 hours. The power has just come on again (it goes out for about 4-5 hours a day) and I am enjoying the nice, cool breeze of air conditioning. Oh, daily life in India… It’s these little things that make life here so unique.

Lately, it has been very hot outside! I know that this weather is nothing compared to the summer months here when its 100+ degrees, but after leaving a summer-less and cold Seattle, my body is definitely in shock to the humidity and the beaming hot sun that seems to suck all the energy out of you as quick as possible. I also have not had much of an appetite since I have been here. The first time I went back to Ramya (my favorite restaurant here in Ongole) I went running straight to the bathroom to throw up at my first sight and smell of Indian food. Weirdly enough, my body has had a harder time adjusting to the food and weather than last year. I am hoping that I will get more of an appetite soon, cause I need the energy especially when the days are long and hot. If you could pray for this, I would really appreciate it! Otherwise, I am definitely in good enough health to be out and about going to the homes and loading the kids up on lots of hugs and kisses. Lately, I have been going over to the girl’s apartment, where two other volunteers from Canada named Nikki and Sara are running an “Ability Camp” for four of our SCH kids. They have chosen four kids from victory home who need a lot of one-on-one attention to get moving a little bit more. One of the four kids is Cedar! They bring the kids to their apartment everyday and work on numerous exercises and physical therapy type activities to hopefully pull out the full potential of the kids. They are really pushing Cedar to sit up on his own a lot so he can develop some more core strength. They also are trying to teach him how to crawl. Their goal for him by the end of the month is to be at least moving around on his own or even better, making strides towards standing up and walking. It’s been really interesting to watch him in this type of environment opposed to the overwhelming and sometimes chaotic environment that the victory home can sometimes bring. He is definitely having a great time! I’ve never seen him smile more, talk more, explore more and laugh more. With all of the stimulation around him, he isn’t sleeping all day long and is instead alert and awake for the whole day. I feel like I have gotten to see so much more of his silly, quirky, sweet little personality since he has been at this Ability Camp. Everyday, the kids spend about an hour in the kiddie pool. It’s probably my favorite part of the day to be able to watch him smile and laugh while he plays in the water. He loves it! Whenever you pour water on him, he gets so excited. It has me smiling from ear to ear watching him light up and become a different little boy in the water.

Despite Cedar’s excitement and joy throughout the day, he still is showing no signs of motivation to want to crawl or sit up. I’ve noticed that he seems to be more and more engulfed into his own little world. His body is like floppy noodle when you try to have him sit up or practice with him on crawling. Every now and again, when you stand him up, he shows the ability and strength to stand. I know that deep down in there, Cedar could start crawling, standing, and then walking if he wanted to. I’ve found that it’s all about motivating him. I can’t tell you how many times my brain has tried to find the different possible reasons why this little boy would have no motivation to want to walk. Cedar will be 4 years old in a couple of weeks. He’s getting older, his legs are growing longer but he remains in the same 6 month old developmental stage. It breaks my heart. I can’t imagine the kind of world he lives in with absolutely no sight and facing an immense amount of abandonment and neglect in the first years of his life. I know that a lot of his lack of motivation comes from fear, a fear in simply what he cannot see.

I am hopeful that this next month at Ability Camp, with Sarah and Nikki working with him daily, will bring about some really good changes and hopefully a milestone or two for Cedar. Aside from the work that Nikki, Sarah, and I will do with Cedar, I will leave the rest up to God. I will pray, and I hope that you will too, for this precious life that God has placed so heavily on my heart. I know that when the day is done and we have put our time in with Cedar, God will be the one working out a miracle in his body, mind, and spirit. I must remember to lean not on my own strength and ability to help Cedar but step aside and let God do what He does best. Prayer: It’s the most powerful tool we have as believers. Please pray with me for Cedar.



Cedar having fun in the pool! 
                                                     Jasmine loves splashing in the water!

                                                     
                                                    Sarah and Mum helping Cedar stand
                                                                     Dinah and Sarah
                                                                    Cedar and Mum

No comments:

Post a Comment