Friday, September 14, 2012

See You Next Time, India


As I write this, I sit on my last plane ride home to Seattle. I sit here full of anticipation and eagerness, ready to breathe in the fresh northwest air and see the people who I’ve missed so much. At the same time, I’m completely overwhelmed with thoughts and feelings on the last 2 and half months of my life. It almost feels like a time warp… one day I was leaving my life in Seattle and somehow 11 weeks later, I’m returning back to that life. The in between time was just pure bliss, as if I took a little break from my reality and lived in someone else’s for a while. This concept could keep me running in circles for hours and it often feels like my mind can never fully grasp and process what really happened. But it did happen and I never want to forget that it did.

On our last day, Grace and I headed over to Victory Home early to spend the morning and early afternoon. When I arrived, I walked straight to Cedar’s room and pretty much held him from the moment I got there until the moment I left. He was in a wonderfully giggly mood (as always) and we spent the morning just laughing together. It wasn’t long after I was with him that morning that I was already beginning to cry. As I watched him laugh and do all the little things that make him so adorably unique I thought, “These are the moments that I will miss the most. These are the memories I will cherish so close to my heart when I cant see him anymore.” It was a great and relaxing morning at the home. I truly felt at peace knowing that I could simply just be with the children. There was nothing I needed to do but love on them for one last time. When it came to say goodbye, I went to each room and gave all the kids a hug and kiss. I saved Cedar’s room for last knowing it would be the hardest. The minute I walked into his room, I lost it. I said goodbye to all the ayah’s and they wiped my tears as I went around the room kissing all the boys goodbye. And then I wrapped my sweet boy up in my arms and cried tears of both sadness and joy. Tears of sadness over the fact that I can’t bring him home with me, knowing fully that being away from him will hurt….a lot. And there were tears of joy over the fact that I simply know him. Tears that He was brought into my life to change and shape my character and relationship with God in a way that nothing else could. There were tears of joy over the fact that I am one of the most privileged and fortunate people in this world to be able to show him love after his world rejected him. What joy there is in knowing that God loved me enough to introduce me to him and ultimately introduce me to a love I’d never known or thought I could know. And what heartbreak there is in this vulnerable love that has proven itself painful when time and space separates us. I walked out of Victory home that day with more of my heart left behind and more of it broken… and I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way.

The rest of the day was spent at the baby apartment and the girl’s apartment saying our last farewells. It was a very full day and by the end of it, I was so emotionally exhausted. By 11pm, Grace and I were boarding our overnight bus to begin our 56-hour journey home. When we arrived in Hyderabad in the morning, we took a power nap and then went to the market to do some shopping. Later that day, The Fadely family came to pick us up for dinner. They were already in Hyderabad for their monthly get away and so it was nice to be able to spend time with them there. We went to Chili’s and Grace and I got buffalo meat burgers! Then afterwards, we went to McDonalds and got ice cream cones. It was a very American night spent with people who have become wonderful friends to us. By 5am the next morning, Grace and I were off to the airport.
                            Our best attempt at a group picture with the school girls on our last night
                                 Dinner with the Fadely family in Hyderabad

We flew from Hyderabad to Mumbai for our 18-hour layover. Luckily, my mom has connections with a pastor there so when we arrived, he was waiting with a sign for us right outside the airport. Grace and I didn’t really know anything about this pastor or his ministry or Mumbai or anything! It was completely random but to my surprise, I think it was easily one of my favorite days in India ever. I loved the city of Mumbai and getting the chance to see a different part of India. I loved being able to see how God is working in Mumbai through this pastor, his family, church, and ministry. He and his family were so hospitable and truly filled with joy that they could invite us to be apart of their day. We spent the morning at his home where we got to visit a lot with his daughter, Karuna, who is also 21! She was so nice and I loved getting to talk with her. It was so cool to see how we have so many things in common, even though we live in two completely different worlds. Then we went to go see his church and the school that they run for children in the slums who are unable to afford good schooling. Afterwards, we had the chance to go to an outreach event in the city. The outreach was at an annual festival that the city of Mumbai holds for a statue of mother Mary holding baby Jesus. Basically there is a statue of Mary holding baby Jesus that they believe to be very special. Many people claim that this statue heals them and gives them the things they need when they pray to it. Therefore, half the city (which is 6 million people!) comes and offers candles and flowers to it for healing, getting a new job or house, and other things. Basically, they’ve turned this statue into another God to pray to with potential of having it improve their circumstances. So we offered prayer and passed out traks to the people as they walked up to the church with their candles and flowers. I did a lot of observing and took a walk up to the church myself to see it. It was fascinating to see how so many people- Christian, Catholic, Hindu, Muslim, or any other religion will come to pray to this statue. After seeing the church, I had a good time hanging out with the street kids who were trying to sell candles and flowers to the crowds. One little guy started passing traks out with everyone instead! Afterwards, Pastor Shirish took us down to the beach and we watched the sunset. Then we were off to dinner at a really yummy restaurant, where Grace and I had our last authentic Indian meal. Grace decided to order goat brain to really end things with a bang in India (adventurous one she is!) I tried a bit and it tasted very brainy-squishy and slimy (yuck) After dinner, we went back to the church to pick up our luggage and Pastor Shirish sent us off in a van with another pastor to the airport. It was such a good day! I was so thankful that Grace and I were able to experience so much and really get a taste of Mumbai instead of waiting in the airport for 18 hours.
                                                          The shrine of Mother Mary
                                                   One of the street kids helping us pass out tracks
                   


As we drove through the city of Mumbai, I was absolutely fascinated and captivated once again by India and it’s culture. As I looked over at the massive amounts of land occupied by slums, my passion for India’s people only grew stronger. This country and these people have won me over. I can’t explain why I fell in love with India in the first place. From an earthly perspective, it’s completely random. From a spiritual perspective, it was God’s divine and careful plan. Looking out the window at the slums and being filled with such a longing to jump out of the car and walk in, I was encouraged… as strange as that sounds. I was encouraged to know that my passions that come out of nowhere have a place where they belong…and it’s here in India. I was encouraged that this passion is completely not of myself and entirely of God and His work in my life. And as long as I continue to walk closely with him, he will lead me to the places that are so specifically designed for the passions he’s birthed in me so that I can be used for His glory. I discover more and more that as I walk closely in relationship with God, His desires, His vision and His heartbreak become mine too. What a good God we serve…that He so carefully plans our lives out in accordance with His perfect will for us and for the world.

As I walk away from an incredible journey in India, I enter into a new journey in my home here in Seattle. It’s a journey of processing, continuing to learn from my experiences and discovering how those experiences still and always will play a part in my life, no matter where I am in the world. I now enter into a new journey and a new season with feelings that I am well aware of coming. These feelings of grief over the absence of 105 physically present children in my daily life. Feelings of shock over a culture that looks so different than the one I’ve been living in for the past 2 and half months. Feelings of fear- fear of forgetting what I’ve seen here and the people I’ve met… fear of living my life as if this never happened.

But I will continue to be in awe of my God’s faithfulness in my life and I will trust that He wants to surprise me even more with His goodness. I will say it again and with even more assurance than the last time....

Great is thy faithfulness.



No comments:

Post a Comment