Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The beginning of something beautiful

It was my third day today volunteering at the children's home. Something that I have learned while being here is that Indian's dont run on any kind of schedule or plan for the day. So everyday here is different and we just go with the flow with whatever comes up in the day. Everday, I wake up and the morning in the apartment is usually pretty slow, just eating breakfast, reading, and lounging around in the air conditioning. Anywhere from 11 to 1 is when we start making our way over to the home. When I get there, its up to me what I want to do for the day with the kids. Rebekah and I did some crafts with a few kids today and hung some artwork they have done up on the walls of our office. We also like to take kids who are unable to walk into the office so stretch their legs and arms out and give them toys or music to play with. This is has been my favorite part of working in this childrens home because I can connect with them on a one-to- one level and give them my full attention, away from the other children. Today, there was a little boy we were playing with who was so precious he made me laugh out of pure delight. He was born without any eyes so all he has are closed sockets. He was one of the cutest little guys I've ever seen. Aside from working in the home, life in India is so different and so rich in culture. Everytime I step outside our apartment, I am overwhelmed by the sounds of the beeping cars, the busy streets of people and bikers, the smell of garbage and curry, and the incredible amount of stares from everyone I pass by. It's rather awkward to be stared at by an entire city of people but I try to smile and wave so they know I'm normal person. The food is still something I am getting used to and with all of my picky eating habits, Im really working on branching out of bread and rice. We have a few of the children from the home living with us, who are recovering from surgery, so it has been nice getting to know them through a less busy setting. Everyday here brings new surprises and new experiences and I look forward to each day that comes. I have missed home more than I thought I would. One of the biggest things I have missed is life in Seattle- especially how beautiful it is in the sunshine. I have become so attached to my home and my life in Seattle that to immerse myself in something that is so far different is a bit of a shock. None the less, I love the challenge it brings and I love how different India is from my home. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else but here right now. I definatley have a new found respect for americans that come to live overseas full time to be missionaries. It's not easy and takes a lot of commitment. Otherwise, each day gets easier to adapt to the lifestyle here and I have the chance to love people that for most of their life, have never been loved. What a beautiful oppourtunity I have been presented and I couldn't be more grateful for it.
Peace and Love,
Nat

No comments:

Post a Comment