Friday, July 29, 2011

Fun in Hyderabad!

Yesterday morning, I arrived back home in Ongole after being in Hyderabad for a few days. It was time for Rebekah to go back to the states, so since she was flying out of Hyderabad, I took the night bus with her so she wouldn't have to go alone. There, we would stay at an ICM guest house where 2 volunteers with SCH were already staying for one of our kid’s eye surgeries. Many of the kids have to come to Hyderabad for surgery because the hospitals in Ongole are not very good. But anyways, I'm getting ahead of myself. The bus ride.....well, that was quite an experience, a hilarious one actually. They call these overnight buses "sleeper buses". I have no idea where they came up with that name because I'm not sure how anyone falls asleep on these things. We were blessed with the last room at the end of the bus.The bus is full of rooms that each have 2 bunk beds so that you are able to actually lay down in a bed and sleep for the 8 hours it takes to get to Hyderabad overnight., that didn't happen for me because every 5 minutes I was being launched into the air as the bus driver sped over a series of speed bumps and pot holes. I was literally clinging to the bed to prevent myself from thrashing around the small room. I was actually laughing to myself as I flew into the air thinking about how the bus driver actually expected anyone to be sleeping through this. Later, I discovered the bus had no shocks….of course it didn’t. 8 hours later, we were dropped off in the middle of Hyderabad at 6am and waited for someone from the guest home to come pick us up. In the meantime, we had a few people taking pictures with us on their cell phones. That was also something I tried to keep myself from laughing at. It humors me to think that people here want to get a picture with a complete stranger just because their white. The 2 men kept taking picture after picture with us because they were not satisfied with the pictures that were taken. Rebekah and I just stood there with blank faces hoping for our ride to come. Here in India, it’s seen as flirting to befriend or smile at a man. Men and women here are very separated and do not mix in public. So, it was a rather awkward situation.

            For the first day Hyderabad, we all were able to go out shopping together and see a bit more of the city. Hyderabad is a very different place than Ongole. Hyderabad is much more developed, populated, and busy! It’s a big city with a lot going on! The next day, we took Genevieve to her doctor’s appointment and went out to dinner and coffee. The place we went to dinner was really nice and had very tasty Indian food. I ordered “Poori” which is fried bread dipped in potato curry. Then we went to “Coffee Day” which is basically the starbucks of India. Then, that night, Cassie (another volunteer that was already staying in Hyderabad with Genevieve) rode the half sleeper bus back to Ongole. The half sleeper bus was just recliner chairs but it was so much better than taking the sleeper bus because I actually slept this time! And it was cheaper! Plus, I got to watch a bollywood film! It was the best! When we got back to Ongole at 5am it was so cool to see the always busy and loud city quiet and empty. A few people were getting up and starting their day, but that was one of the most peaceful rickshaw rides I have ever taken. Then, it was back to SCH! Since Cassie is leaving soon, I have been shadowing her for the past few days because I will need to take over her responsibilities at the home when she leaves. This means putting the orthotics on all of the children and keeping track of hearing aids and glasses for our kids. The things I have learned how to do here have really surprised me. It’s definitely been a great learning experience in multiple areas. Here in India, they don’t need to see a college degree or masters in anything! They just need someone who’s willing and able.

            The break in Hyderabad was very much needed and appreciated. It was fun for me to be able to revisit and see a different part of India a little bit more. The things I see here never get old and I am constantly reminded that I am far from home. Here are a few of those reminders:

-Being stared at by every person I walk past on the streets of Ongole. Walking around stores or being in a restaurant usually means there is a crowd of people that are staring and watching your every move. For example, today I had a lady closely follow me around the grocery store the entire time I shopped. That is still something I am getting used to!
- The smell of garbage being burned on the sides of the road. There is no such thing as a dumpster or public trash can here. Everything is thrown on the ground! And I mean everything! All trash finds its way to the ground outside because when it’s time for someone to take out the trash, they either throw it off the balcony of their home or take it outside to dump on the side of the road. Then, to decrease the size of the pile of garbage, garbage men burn it. So you can imagine that glorious smell of that. It’s pretty much the nastiest smell I have yet to take in.
- The cows and water buffalo that are constantly roaming through the middle of the streets. Water buffalo are used here for milk and labor. Cows are seen as sacred animals and are not to be fussed with or touched. So they just roam around eating garbage. Or every now and again, you see a few little piglets or chickens scavenging for food in the garbage piles as well.
- There is also no such thing as a public restroom. People just pee or poop on the side of the road. It doesn’t even phase me anymore when I see men peeing completely unashamed on the side of the road. This definitely adds to the “interesting” mixture of smells in India.
- Taking bucket showers everyday are still something I am getting used to. At home, one of my favorite things about my day is showering because it’s so relaxing. Here, I dread showers because there is nothing comfortable about cold water and using a bucket to bathe.
-Driving through our SCH neighborhood everyday is reminder that I am in a third world country. One of my favorite things to do is just watch life happen here. Women washing their clothes, doing dishes on a dirt floor, peering into their tiny 1 bedroom homes, watching kids playfully run around the streets with nothing to entertain themselves but each other. They are happy people and this is the only life they have ever known. That still boggles my mind. I find myself asking the question “why me? How did I get to be the lucky one that was born into such privilege?”  I know that is the classic thing to say when one is on the mission field, but there is really no other way to say it. We are blessed people and sometimes I can forget that.

That’s all I got for now! It’s almost been a month since I have been here and it’s flown by! I am looking forward to another month and a half I still have to experience this place for all it’s worth. Love to you all from India.

2 comments:

  1. Natalie,
    I love reading your posts - hearing you share so well all of your thoughts and feelings being in such amazing surroundings. Your photos are beautiful! Today, I loved this sentence: "that was one of the most peaceful rickshaw rides I have ever taken" as if there are many routine rickshaw rides! Thanks for taking the time to write here - keep those great posts coming! I am praying for you!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Natalie. I love reading your posts. I discovered SCH in April, but just discovered your blog last week. I will comment more on other posts as time allows. I have read most of what you have written and love it. Do you by chance know if Cassie had a blog from her time in India? I would love to read it.
    Mikayla

    P.S. This is my first time commenting on a Blogspot blog. Hope it goes well.

    ReplyDelete