Monday, July 11, 2011

First day at SCH

It was my first day at the children's home today! I was so excited to finally get to meet all of the 82 children and see where I would be spending most of my time for the next 2 months. Upon entering in through the gates to the orphanage, I was greeted by a few children that came to see us. I then went around to each of the rooms, where the kids are seperated mostly by age and gender, and met the kids. Since many of them are unable to sit up on their own, I mostly held kids or sat them up in my lap. They love to be held! And I love to hold them! So it works out great! I learned today that mostly what I will be doing from day to day is playing with kids and holding kids. So I'm stoked! After the kids ate lunch, Rebekah ( another volunteer) and I went and filled up a pool for some of the kids to splash around in. They loved this and I think it felt good for them to escape the intense indian heat for a little bit. Man, it is HOT here! Something I am still getting used to. We splashed around together for a while and then we went back upstairs to blow some bubbles in the rooms. After this, we took a few children up to the roof and did some finger painting. At the end of the day, I was completley exhausted. Mostly because it is so hot outside, it is hard to stay energetic. My first day at the home was perfect and I can't wait to get to know the kids better. A few times, it was hard for me to keep my composure and not get teary eyed. This usually happens when I am with kids who have special needs so I wasn't really surprised. The love that God has given me for them is already overwhelming. This is something I know will get me through the times that will be difficult and challenging. No doubt, I can tell that these next 2 months will be exhausting. But the kids are showing me Jesus- and that is what will make every challenge worth it. Thanks for all of the prayers and I miss you all very much. Love from India, Nat

2 comments: