Saturday, July 23, 2011

Dreaming for breakthrough

I have officially completed/survived a week of teaching school at SCH! At the end of everyday, I was pretty wiped but there were lots of good memories that were made this week. We had a lot of fun playing water games, which consisted of Rebekah and I spraying them with a hose. I love how easily entertained these kids are and seeing their faces explode with laughter as we splash them with water. We colored, we danced, played instruments, did puzzles, played with the rainbow parachute, and read books. I sure learned how to entertain kids all day and was challenged to be patient with the many different children I was working with.

Yesterday, Rebekah and I were able to take the day off so we went to a nearby market called "Baboogee" and did some shopping. We walked around the city a little bit and went out to lunch at the favorite resteraunt around here called "Ramya". It was definitely what we both needed and it was so nice to take time away and re-charge. After, we decided to stop at the home for a little to see the kids. When I got there, I went into the baby room to see if Cedar was awake. Cedar is the blind baby I talked about in my last post. Yesterday, I learned that Cedar is also autistic. Of course, Cedar was sleeping, so this time instead of letting him sleep like he does all day, I picked him up out of his crib and tried to wake him up. When I brought him into the office to play with some toys, I put him in a baby seat that allows him to sit up with his legs stretched out. Cedar did not like this at all! Cedar is a 3 year old boy, but developmentally, he is still in an infant stage. He cannot properly sit up on his own and whenever he is propped up, he immediatly curls his body into a fetal position. He spends most of the day just sleeping or laying in his crib. His body is fully functioning and physically this boy should have no problem walking let alone sitting up on his own. But because of his history-being abandonded and living in government orphanages, he is developmentally delayed. Now that he is at SCH, he should begin the process in moving forward in his development. Cedar just has not received enough one-on- one attention in helping him work through the challenges of growing in his development. No doubt, it is a challenge for Cedar to be awake and alert, sitting up and stretching his legs out.

As I sat beside Cedar in his chair, as he cried and hit himself out of frusteration, I completely lost it. I just started crying, right there with him. My heart broke for him as I watched him struggle through something as simple as sitting up and being awake. It was heartbreaking to watch someone I love so much not be able to thrive the way that I know they should be. I dream about watching Cedar run around, happy and free, able to experience and access so much more beyond laying in a crib all day could ever provide him. Eventually, I was able to calm him down by singing softly in his ear "twinkle twinkle little star" and "the itsy bitsy spider" After I was done, a full time volunteer told me that they have been hoping for someone that could come and work with him everyday. I like to think that God pointed Cedar out to me from the beginning for this reason. I can't tell you why I fell in love with him the second I laid eyes on him, but I can tell you that it was completely the work of God. I'm committed to him and walking him through the challenges he is facing, even if he hates me for it at first. Cedar has a bright future ahead of him and God is in the midst of writing a beautiful and powerful story for Cedar.  

My mom shared this verse with me the other day.. 1 Corinthians 2:9 "No eye has seen, no ear has heard all that God has prepared for those who love Him" I have no idea what the Lord has planned for all of these kids, but I know that it's good. I can't even begin to comprehend how good God's plans are for us. Looking at these kids, the dreams they have for themselves are as much my dreams too. I dream of healing in these kids, both in their bodies and spirits. And to think that is only my limited, human, perspective. To think about the plans God has for them, what he desires for them, thats incomprehendable! Praise God that there is something beyond my limited human efforts and dreams. He dreams bigger dreams for us and completes our stories with something far beyond whatever we could imagine. If that doesnt give hope, I don't know what else does.

2 comments:

  1. nat, this post made me cry. love you! i'll be praying for you and cedar!

    ReplyDelete